10 December 2011 09:31
There is a new version of Visual Studio coming in 2012, and codenamed "Visual Studio 11". The final branding/name has not been confirmed, and will probably only be confirmed once the final product is ready to be made available. Microsoft is aiming for a 4th quarter release, to go with the release of .Net Framework 4.5 and Windows 8.
Here are a few things to look forward too...
- Support for .Net framework 4.5
- Windows 8 support
- Build metro-style applications
- Support for asynchronous programming in C#
- Support for state machines in Windows Workflow
- More tooling for HTML5 and CSS 3 in ASP.Net.
- Simplified Toolbar: eliminated the clutter and ensured that you only ever need one row of toolbars to get your job done
- Improved Solution Explorer: Allows you to search and browse the relationships of types and members within VB, C# and C++ projects.
- Added search capabilities to the Toolbox and Add Reference Dialog.
Silverlight 6 and Expression Studio 6 will follow after the release of Visual Studio 11, probably in the beginning of 2013.
Update 1 March 2012:
Visual Studio 11 Beta has been released. Below are a few links on the release.